Wednesday, February 28, 2007

WorldSpace Reviewed - The World In Space

My second acquisition for the month for a gadget after my iPod- WorldSpace Satellite Radio - 24 hours Music Radio without ads and pestering Radio Jockeys. Although, I didn’t actually go out of the way to buy it, I still get to own it thanks primarily to my good friend, Mustaq Ahmed. For it,It’d have to give it (10/10), though it fell into my lap.

The Looks
As I got home with the revered product (which comes for Rs. 1499/- in the market), I obviously shouldn’t be asking a lot for looks. But on appearance I'd give it a (4/10). A bit bulky for today's age, where everything that keeps getting smaller by the day. Not too many functions on the body too, so it’s very easy for elderly people to operate. Lucky to get a remote on it, this also is not too tough to operate. So Structure-Function wise I would give it an (8/10).
The Installation
Installation shouldn't be an ordeal, unless you live in a serene environment surrounding yourself by Nature! I had been provided an extension to the antenna before hand by my astute friend so I ventured out to the terrace and had it placed SE without much hindrance. Nature is supposed to bring most of the noise in Communication equipments and the Sun is the biggest Noise creator. Some costs one pays to live in tranquility! , anyways installation gets a (7/10)
The Good Stuff
After all the drama with the antenna, finally the product is working. Oh! The clarity, the bass, the pitch, the experience was truly blissful. It currently has just 40 channels. There are the usual Pop Channels, some News Channels, a few Spiritual channels and some regional channels I turned on the gadget and the whole room seems to be shaking by the vibes of the Techno music. (10/10)But I was a little disappointed on not finding a Hard Rock or Metal Channel. Have to suffice with Orbit - Classic Rock Channel which airs songs by Pink Floyd, U2 and the likes. Bob - Alternative Rock is decent and sometimes manages RATM and some New Age songs. Not sure where I'd get to listen likes of Iron Maiden or Metallica.
Space to expand
All-in-All 39/50 (78%) is very good. With only 40 channels currently and a growing customer base, I think there is enough space to expand. A few more Classical channels, some more regional channels and yes a few Hard Rock / Metal Channels.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: